Eat Random

The idea for this blog is to blog about everything I think about food and food culture. I'll tell you what I like to eat, where I like to eat it and if I thought it was good or if I thought it was crap. My thoughts about food could go anywhere. Hey if you don't like it go blog at methodicaldudereallythinksalotaboutthefoodhesgoingtoeat.blogspot.com

Random Dude Eats Random Food Indianapolis restaurants

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sweet Treat Ben And Jerry's New Ice Cream Flavors

If you're reading this blog you're probably familiar with Ben and Jerry's ice cream and their tendency toward interesting new flavor combinations.  A little while ago The Girlfriend and I realized that we had a little bit of money left over on a Target gift card we got for Christmas and decided to use it to create our own Ben and Jerry's tasting menu.  The flavors we decided to go with?  Red Velvet Cake, Bonaroo Buzz, Creme Brulee, and Late Night Snack.

Right up front I want to say that without a doubt Late Night Snack was my favorite not only of the flavors we tried in this tasting but also of any Ben and Jerry's flavor I've ever had.  It is vanilla bean ice cream, caramel swirl, and fudge coated potato chip balls.  It sounds a little strange I know, but it was amazing how well all the flavors really worked together.  The salty chocolate of the potato chip pieces were the perfect complement to the incredibly sweet ice cream.  Nothing over powered anything else and yet I could taste each flavor individually.  Go to the store and pick some up tonight.

Bonaroo Buzz I was less enamored with.  The carton was clearly labeled coffee flavored ice cream, but the flavor profile of the coffee was overwhelmingly assertive.  I was also disappointed with the English toffee pieces that were included.  The toffee pieces were so big there was no way to incorporate them into one normal sized bite.  Overall I didn't find it very pleasing as a dessert.

The Red Velvet Cake could best be summed up with what you see is what you get.  The ice cream was cake flavored and slightly reddish pink with red velvet cake pieces mixed in.  So if you're like me and enjoy Ben and Jerry's because you like multiple flavors in one package then this isn't for you.  It was overwhelmingly one note.  The cake pieces offered a texture difference but that's about it.  If you're not expecting anything more you'll probably enjoy this more than I did.

Somewhat in the same vein was Creme Brulee.  The ice cream was a ridiculously over sweet custard ice cream with some sugar crystals mixed in.  To quote my man Homer J.  it wasn't undelicious, but it lacked anything to really make it special.  Also with it being so sweet it was hard to eat more than a couple bites at a time.  Also, I thought it was strange to call something brulee when there would really be no possible way to have any brulee aspect to this at all. 

The bottom line?  Even if some flavors aren't as big of a hit as others when it comes to Ben and Jerry's they are always interesting enough to try out.  If you have a different favorite flavor of ice cream or a flavor idea that would would like to see produced shout it out in ye olde comments section.

5 comments:

April said...

Ben & Jerry's Stephen Colbert's AmeriCone Dream is pretty boss too when it comes to interesting textures. I also like cinnamon buns and milk and cookies. Still need to try the cheesecake brownie.

IndianapolisEater said...

I've had the new Late Night Snack, Red Velvet Cake and Clusterfluff.

I agree with your opinion on the Red Velvet ice cream...it's not bad, it's not great, it's just there.

As for Late Night Snack, I completely disagree. After reading all the positive reviews, I thought the stuff would change my life. Based on expectations, I was wholeheartedly unimpressed. It was okay, but very much not deserving of the praise that I was reading about it getting. Frankly, the best part about it was the vanilla bean ice cream. Everything else was just okay.

As for Clusterfluff, you REALLY, REALLY need to try it. If you like Peanut Butter (I LOVE IT), you are really gonna like the flavor. It's very rich, but it is so good. Frankly, it's the best ice cream I've ever had. Unfortunately, it's also just about the most unhealthy ice cream I've ever had too if you look at the calories per serving. But, if you are willing to make the sacrifice, I would HIGHLY ADVISE that you and the girlfriend give it a shot.

Jessica in Noblesville said...

Oh no, I did *not* need to know about Clusterfluff. Now I'm on a mission. If I can't find it, I'll try the Late Night Snack ... I've always been a fan of chocolate-dipped potato chips.

Brent said...

I might give Clusterfluff a try sometime if someone else has some and I can steal a taste. While I like peanut butter at times it is not one of my favorite flavors. Peanut butter ice cream might be a little too much for me.

Indycoons said...

If you're looking for coffee-flavored ice cream, try the Blue Bell brand. It is the best coffee ice cream you can buy! Yum!