Eat Random

The idea for this blog is to blog about everything I think about food and food culture. I'll tell you what I like to eat, where I like to eat it and if I thought it was good or if I thought it was crap. My thoughts about food could go anywhere. Hey if you don't like it go blog at methodicaldudereallythinksalotaboutthefoodhesgoingtoeat.blogspot.com

Random Dude Eats Random Food Indianapolis restaurants

Monday, January 10, 2011

Ring The King!

If you grew up in Indiana (specifically central Indiana) or have lived here for any period of time you know that when it comes to really good pizza there is only one choice and that is Pizza King.  I have read several articles abotu pizza here in the Hoosier state, and it seems they usually gloss over the good to the very edge pizza that is closest to our hearts.  Sure, there are sexier choices out there.  In Bloomington it's all about Aver's and Mother Bears.  Around Indy the upscale Pizzology is all the rage.  But the thing that Pizza King has that the other's don't is not only great pizza but the nostalgia to go with it. 

When you walk into a Pizza King the first thing that always gets me is how the place looks exactly no different than it did 30 years ago when pizza joints were really starting to hit their stride.  The jukebox.  The Pacman game.  The old worn red booths.  The employees wearing the cheap truck hats with the Pizza King logo.  I could have walked in in 1983 and got the same vibe.  Pizza King is something that a lot of people love and they have a if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality.  That goes for the food as well.

Last night I ate there with my girlfriend and her family in her small hometown of Alexandria.  We all split a 16" Royal Feast and an order of (purposely) underdone breadsticks.  First of all the breadsticks are the best anywhere.  They are soft and served coated in a buttery herb topping and come with a delicious cheese sauce.  The Royal Feast is where the King really hits its stride.  Toppings all the way out to the edge that include fresh ground sausage (not the premade little balls at other pizza places), mushrooms, finely chopped onion, greenpepper and cheese.  The flavors all work so well together and the crust is thin, but it has a softness to it that makes it delicious instead of like putting toppings on a Ritz. 

Taste: 10/10 I'd rather have this pizza than almost any other.
Value:  7/10  The cost of this pizza is definitely more expensive than every other place.  The cost is the only reason I don't get it every time I want pizza.  The good news is that I still consider it a fairly good value since the taste and ingredients are so good.  If you can afford it go for it.

Randomness:  8/10  Pretty random for anybody not from Indiana.  If you were coming from somewhere else and were looking for a place to eat pizza based on looks alone Pizza King is probably the last place you would choose.  Also, in some places Pizza King is called Sir Pizza.  Places with 2 names earn automatic random points.

Locations are all over Indiana.  Check out Pizza King Indiana for location or other info.

No comments: