Eat Random

The idea for this blog is to blog about everything I think about food and food culture. I'll tell you what I like to eat, where I like to eat it and if I thought it was good or if I thought it was crap. My thoughts about food could go anywhere. Hey if you don't like it go blog at methodicaldudereallythinksalotaboutthefoodhesgoingtoeat.blogspot.com

Random Dude Eats Random Food Indianapolis restaurants

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Quick Food Thoughts: bbq

I was watching last week's Top Chef bbq challenge while I was writing my last Top Chef post and I had a couple bbq thoughts that I wanted to share.  People are sometimes divided on these so if you disagree or agree feel free to chime in with comments.

1. I prefer pork bbq.
2. I prefer a thicker sweeter sauce on most occasions (not always and there is such as thing as too sweet).
3. My preferred, no mandatory, side with bbq is coleslaw.  Has to be there...period.
4. As far as coleslaw goes I can enjoy it on the bbq or on the side, but I almost always prefer a mayo coleslaw with a citrus tang over a more vinegar based slaw.

4 comments:

Tom H said...

If pressed, I'd put a good brisket - heavy on the black pepper - over some quality pork shoulder. I'm thinking some burnt ends. And I like most all sauces, from alabama white on... but my preference is more of a vinegar-chile situation.

Brent said...

Brisket always looks great, but I can't resist getting delicious pork. Haven't heard of Alabama white bbq sauce. Care to elaborate?

Tom H said...

it is pretty amazing on bird... one recipe:

Ingredients
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon powdered garlic
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish from a jar (either in vinegar or creamy)
1 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon finely ground cayenne pepper

(I just put it in a big mason jar and shake the hell out of it)

online bookie said...

I love the blog