Eat Random

The idea for this blog is to blog about everything I think about food and food culture. I'll tell you what I like to eat, where I like to eat it and if I thought it was good or if I thought it was crap. My thoughts about food could go anywhere. Hey if you don't like it go blog at methodicaldudereallythinksalotaboutthefoodhesgoingtoeat.blogspot.com

Random Dude Eats Random Food Indianapolis restaurants

Monday, February 7, 2011

Dessert Trends...I don't get it.

Since you're reading a food blog then I imagine you're probably aware that in the food world there have been some very trendy items lately, namely cupcakes and to a lesser extent bacon.  From what I've been reading around the interwebz lately it seems that pie is about to supplant cupcakes as the food trend du jour.  Frankly, I don't understand any of it.  Now I'm not a big dessert guy so maybe this is something that is just out of my purview, but I don't understand what makes pie, or cupcakes for that matter, any better than what they were at any other point in history.  I have had both items recently, and I have to say I notice no difference than when I had them when I was a kid.  But for some reason though cupcake bakeries and pie shops are springing up everywhere.  There are TV shows dedicated to "cupcake wars".  Has the world gone mad?  Truthfully, I don't think so. 

The only difference now is how connected we are.  The only reason we see these dessert trends is because Food Network and food websites are telling us there is a trend and it builds on itself like some self-fulfilling prophecy.  I have to say I'm growing a little tired of it.  I'm sorry I just don't find reading or watching shows about these desserts that interesting.  Cupcake Wars is unwatchable.  Top Chef just desserts was okay, but pales in comparison to the awesomeness of regular Top Chef.  Maybe I'm in the minority here, but can't we just sit down and eat some cupcakes and pies.  They're delicious on their own.  I don't need some hipster telling me how awesome it is to make PBR flavored desserts in his underground pie shop in Brooklyn.


(pic courtesy of hipsterchic.com)

No comments: