Eat Random

The idea for this blog is to blog about everything I think about food and food culture. I'll tell you what I like to eat, where I like to eat it and if I thought it was good or if I thought it was crap. My thoughts about food could go anywhere. Hey if you don't like it go blog at methodicaldudereallythinksalotaboutthefoodhesgoingtoeat.blogspot.com

Random Dude Eats Random Food Indianapolis restaurants

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Product Review: Tradewinds Tea Flavor Varieties

Full Disclosure:  The tea samples for review here were provided free of charge.

Along with my Taco Bell addiction (see previous post) I also freely admit that I'm addicted to pop.  I've talked about that before when I did my review of Dr. Pepper Ten.  However, I've been trying to ween myself off of it with non carbonated drinks so the tea samples I received from Tradewinds fit nicely into my diet.  I've got a few different varieties to break down so let's get to it.

Unsweet: This is the baseline.  The control group.  It was pure black tea and water with nothing else really added.  Unsweet tea is not my flavor preference as it might be for others who reside north of the Mason-Dixon.  Although I like black coffee I find unsweet tea somewhat unappealing.  Though I will say that judging it for what it was I thought it was a good product that a lot of unsweet tea drinkers would enjoy.  Purity of flavor was evident.

Sweet Tea:  Ahh yes the Southern staple.  The beverage that is mentioned in almost as many country songs as whiskey.  This is my preferred choice, and I have to say that I found it delicious.  The sweetness was there, but without that teeth-hurting sugary feeling that sometimes rears its head.  One thing to point out here is that its sweetened with sugar and not high-fructose corn syrup. 

Extra Sweet Tea: Ok I think this is a bridge too far.  Everything I liked about the standard sweet tea is what I didn't like here.  It's the same formula.  The ingredients are still pure.  But, damn, the sugar content and sweetness level was dialed up here to something I viewed as beyond nicely palatable.  Maybe that's my own personal tastes here, but I feel that as someone who can handle plenty of sweet in the their sweet tea I was surprised that this was over the top even for me.


Lemonade Iced Tea: The Arnold Palmer.  No, it's not some set of classic golf highlights that Golf Channel runs at 3 am between shitty infomercials.  It's the mixture of lemonade and iced tea.  It's a popular drink and I'm sure it's not new to most of you, but I had never actually tried it before.  I found the mixture very pleasing to the palate.  The perfect drink for a hot day.  At first I thought the lemonade flavor wasn't coming across strong enough, but then I decided it was in a good proportion that still allowed the tea flavor to come through.  Easily my favorite of the bunch.

Green Tea: Along with plain unsweet tea I've never been a big green tea guy either.  Personal preferences aside the green tea was another solid product.  I found it slightly less sweet than the sweet tea, but I found it fairly pleasant. 

Taste 9/10 I have to say that overall I was very impressed.  I'm someone that likes iced tea, but when it comes to bottled drinks it would not typically my first choice.  This has changed my mind.  I was also impressed with the simplicity and purity of the ingredients.

No comments: